PLATFORM: Certificate in IP-based Next Generation Telecoms
20 days (4 x 5-day courses)
The PLATFORM: Certificate Programme in Next Generation Telecoms has been designed to develop a vendor and hardware equipment – independent thorough technical understanding of the broad range of technologies that have found their way into modern, next generation telecommunications Service Provider networks.
The programme offers the A to Z of Telecommunication technologies.
It starts by providing a thorough understanding and foundation of legacy technologies and then expands this sound foundation into the technologies used to successfully converge voice, video and data services onto a single, all-IP, next generation telecommunication infrastructure. The programme starts off providing a “big picture” of how and why all the technologies are used and their role in the Next Generation Network (NGN). Once the technologies and acronyms are correctly positioned, it then drills down and provides detail of the technologies. The PLATFORM Certificate is an intensive journey that addresses the need to develop Transmission, Telecommunication and IP skills in organisations from Service Providers to large corporate users of the technology. This includes Purchasing managers, technical Team Managers, Consultants, and Engineers.
The PLATFORM programme has evolved extensively over time with updates being made every year to optimise time and to ensure that the programme remains abreast with the technological changes and advances that have been made in the telecommunications industry. It specifically addresses the need for industry professionals to build a strong knowledge foundation in IP-based and next generation telecommunication networks.
The programme comprises of 20 days instructor-led training which is broken down into four 5 day courses. Some of the courses include practical hands-on laboratory exercises where the learners can experientially apply what they are learning. SBI emphasises assessment during the programme. The assessment includes review exercises that form part of the learners’ after hours learning, an end of course exam, and a final exam.
The course material for PLATFORM has all essential diagrams printed in colour which will also enhance the learner’s learning experience.
Typical delegates include technical staff, network operations personnel, network solution architects, project managers, managers who are in a technical telecoms environment, management consultants and anyone who would like to gain an in-depth knowledge of modern telecom’s transmission and IP network technologies. No previous knowledge is required although a technical background is advantageous but not essential.
Research has shown that employees, especially technical staff, want to learn about new technology. Knowledge enhances their career development; provides companies with best-of-breed staff; increased productivity; and increased customer services.
After completing the programme you will:
- Have an end-to-end understanding of the technologies used in traditional and modern IP based NGN telecoms networks
- Understand how traditional and modern telecoms networks are architected
- Understand wireless communication including spectrum, modulation schemes, mobile technologies (GSM, EDGE, UMTS, HSPA, HSP+ and LTE), microwave systems and satellite communication technologies
- Know how the major transmission technologies work (PDH, PPP, Frame Relay, ATM, SDH next generation SDH and DWDM)
- Identify where different technologies are used in a network and the role that they play
- Have a detailed understanding of the operation of Ethernet, switching and VLAN technologies, plus be able to setup networking equipment that implements this technology
- Be in a position to use a network analyser to do detailed packet analysis
- Discuss the functionality and operation of the major protocols in the TCP/IP protocol suite
- Understand the detailed operation of the TCP and IPv4 and IPv6 protocols
- Know how IPv4 and IPv6 addresses work, including subnetting, VLSM and CIDR
- Be able to install and configure routed networks, using RIP, OSPF and BGP routing protocols
- Develop a detailed knowledge of IPv6, its functionality and transition scenarios
- Recognise the need for multicasting technologies on modern IP based networks plus the technologies that are needed to effectively implement multicast networks (IGMP, IGMP snooping, PIM etc)
- Understand QoS and CoS technologies (IntServ and DiffServ), their associated technologies (RSVP, WFQ, RED etc.) and how packet marking is used
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of MPLS and how it has become an essential tool in the Traffic Engineering on modern service provider networks.
- Learn how MPLS had been enhanced to GMPLS in order to provide end-to-end managed telecoms services over different transmission technologies including optical networks
- Identify what Metro/Carrier Ethernet is and how “Ethernet as a Service” is defined and implemented on service provider networks
- Develop a thorough understanding of modern, next generation all optical networking technologies and how they are used to build large protocol independent telecoms networks.
- Learn about DWDM, ROADMs, ASON, and OTN technologies
- Identify VoIP as a converged network application and learn about its signalling protocols (SIP and H323)
SBI’s highly acclaimed PLATFORM programme provides learners with an internationally assured Certificate in IP-based Next Generation Telecoms and is quality assured by Pearson International, the world’s leading learning company. Pearson Assured is a service that assures the quality of the processes underpinning the design, delivery, quality assurance and/or assessment of the organisation’s own education or training programmes.
All learners on PLATFORM are registered by SBI with Pearson and those who successfully complete the programme and successfully meet all the SBI assessment criteria will receive an internationally recognised certificate.
Pearson is a global firm which is on the cutting edge of technology and advances in education. Pearson operates internationally, awarding over 1.5 million certificates to learners around the world every year.
To Pearson, learning outcomes, assessments and an assessment methodology are key. All learners who pass the programme assessment receive an internationally recognised co-branded SBI certificate from Pearson. This international certificate will provide additional value to the learners who have attended and successfully completed the PLATFORM Certificate Programme.
SBI Mobile Laboratory
The PLATFORM courses are presented by knowledgeable and experienced instructors. During some of the modules, there are practical hands-on exercises that the learners need to complete. The objective of these practical exercises is to have the learners learn to apply the theoretical knowledge that they are gaining. SBI has developed a mobile laboratory which is used for this purpose. The benefit of the mobile laboratory is that learners are able to physically touch and see the equipment that they are configuring.